Sunday, June 14, 2009

The True Face Behind Many Masks

The most unsettling aspect for me of this modern age of social networking is that it removes the context of interaction. We all wear different masks in different situations, may even seem like completely different people. But when we lose those contexts on Facebook, Twitter, and blogs, do we remove all those masks and reveal our true selves, or do we instead adopt a one-size-fits-all persona, constructed to be the most comfortable for us regardless of audience?

This leads to even thornier question: who am I really? Which person is me? Husband, software developer, friend, family member, artist, loner. Each is subtly different (ok, maybe not so subtly different in some cases). Am I somehow all these things? This doesn't seem possible at first. However, I do think that I really am all these things, that I'm not "faking it" in certain situations, because the context is so important. When I'm at my work, I feel confident that I can perform my job and be a leader for my team. As an artist, I struggle with anxiety about the difficult questions of life. I can have contradictory feelings because I'm feeling them about different things.

What does that mean for a blog? I think it means that depending on the topic, different aspects of my personality will come out. Since my goal is to discuss art and life more than software development, you will see the artistic side of me more. I'll be more introspective, anxious, and moody. In other words, an artist. This makes sense since, frankly, the "get it done" side of my personality that comes out when there's a job to be done has no patience for rambling rants, instead preferring action.

Beyond all this, there is still an invisible wall that each of us have. For some, we may hide much more behind it than others. This is the place we keep our innermost feelings, and our history of hurts and weaknesses. I have in my life made a big transition. Much more is outside this wall than it once was. However, the artist in me wants to share more. (If you don't want to share parts of yourself, do you really want to be an artist?)

So, if you're willing to come along with me, you'll get a chance to know things that I have largely kept secret. There are some topics I'd like to one day discuss if I find the strength and confidence. And find the trust in the big scary world that lives on the side of the Internet. (You're all good, caring people, right?)

I'll give you a brief peek behind the wall. Some things I may one day write about: my father's alcoholism; my grandmother's death; a medical condition that causes chronic pain; and of course, gobs of insecurity, guilt, and occasional depression.

Lest you think this blog will be nothing but a drag, I'm still a world class smart-ass and can even be witty on occasion. And I will have art to share: fiction, poetry, and music. So stick around and see what happens.

I'm dying to know myself.

2 comments:

CATHERINE ELCIK said...

We're all of us kaleidescopes, aren't we? We aren't the individual colorful grains but the mosaic that they create.

And once again, with feeling, the Stephen King quote that made me want to be a writer: "The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them--words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for want of an understanding ear."

-From "The Body" in the collection "Different Seasons."

MommyDoc said...

Do you have a chronic pain condition? Let's talk about that more.

Post a Comment