Saturday, June 27, 2009

Song Demo: "Storm Coming"

First, let me explain what the difference is between and "Song" and a "Song Demo."

A song is a fairly rare occurrence. It's something I've written, play all the instruments on (except drums), and usually sing. Songs are indicative of a serious musical effort, something that represents whatever it is I'm trying to say with the musical abilities I have.

A song demo is something I come up with much more often. I use software to play around and write short pieces of music which are usually some combination of technical exercise, seed of a future song, or a raging slab of irony. The parts are all generated by the software, so there's no human playing going on.

The beauty of this is, unlike the old days of recording on an analog four track recorder, I can hear the songs before I've done all the work of recording them. When you record all the parts yourself, finding out that the song just doesn't work after several hours of recording is a bummer. Also, for me to really nail parts takes quite a few tries, so the software is great to hear things played well before I try and do it myself with dozens of takes per part.

So without further adieu, a song demo: Storm Coming

I was attempting to take a simple piano part and give it a much more active drum/bass background, with the timing a little weird to give a "skittering" effect, hopefully in a good way.

(More music can be found here.)

1 comment:

CATHERINE ELCIK said...

I still have a soft spot for the Pigs on Parade piece.

Post a Comment